MEXICO CITY, Aug 24 ― Norwegian firm DNV has requested a two-week extension to complete its next report on the causes of the collapse in May of a Mexico City metro rail line that killed 26 people, city and company officials said yesterday.
The external auditor in June released preliminary findings showing that a structural fault caused the accident, and was reportedly due to present its follow-up report on August 23.
DNV in a statement called its current work “the most complex phase of the collapse analysis” and said it was adding two weeks to the schedule based on its progress and results obtained so far.
DNV added that another group of international experts would be needed for “internal reviews.”
Mexico City’s civil protection agency (SGIRPC) said it had received a request for an extension from DNV that outlined “the need to add two weeks to the delivery date” for the second phase of its analysis.
The collapse, Mexico’s biggest train accident in years, put pressure on close allies of President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, as well as Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim, Latin America’s richest man, who heads the construction company responsible for building the part of line that collapsed.
DNV’s initial report found “six deficiencies in the construction process” that helped bring about the accident on May 3, and noted inadequate bolts and deformed structural supports.
Slim’s company, Grupo Carso, said at the time it would wait to comment until a final report was published. The company will repair the line at no cost to the government so that it can re-open in a year, Lopez Obrador said in June. ― Reuters