Spread the news

Communications and Multimedia Minister Tan Sri Annuar Musa deliver a speech in Petaling Jaya  December 7, 2021. — Bernama pic
Communications and Multimedia Minister Tan Sri Annuar Musa deliver a speech in Petaling Jaya December 7, 2021. — Bernama pic

Follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates.


KOTA BARU, Jan 2 — The Communications and Multimedia Ministry (KKMM) has suggested building higher platforms of around three metres at 1,000 telecommunication towers affected by the recent floods.

Its minister, Tan Sri Annuar Musa said the move was so that damage to the telecommunication towers was reduced and to ensure that communications would not be cut off, especially in the event of disasters.

“I have also asked the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) to take the initiative to ensure telecommunication towers at flood-prone areas would not have equipment at ground level in the future.

“Communication systems should not be cut off even if water rises to 10 feet or even after floods recede. With this initiative, at least those trapped on rooftops of their houses can send SOS (for help),” he said at a media conference after completing the Jelajah Prihatin KKMM programme at Yayasan Kemiskinan Kelantan (YKK) Peringat, here today.

Media outlets previously reported that repairs to almost 1,000 telecommunication towers that sustained damage and caused disruptions to telecommunication coverage after the recent floods hit were completed.

Annuar added that he wanted related parties, including the Information Department and the Department of Broadcasting to draft a more effective information delivery system in flood-prone areas, including early warnings.

“The current way are conventional methods, such as Info on Wheels (IOW) and such, but they are limited…but I want information that can reach every user exposed to disasters wherever they are.

“Look at Japan, when an earthquake is about to happen, even a minor one, the information will reach every mobile phone user, even tourists will receive the message.

“Even though we currently have a system I want a better one, especially after what we went through with the recent floods,” he said.

In other developments, he said that 5,000 Keluarga Malaysia Community volunteers have been mobilised so far to assist in post-flood efforts, including cleaning houses.

“Other countries would take around three months to recover from floods like this. Yet we can handle the problem within a matter of two weeks.

“Citizens have received many government incentives under Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob’s leadership, in addition to cash aid, food provisions and electric equipment being channelled to flood victims so quickly,” he added. — Bernama

 


Spread the news
Advertisement

MELODYBIZ 50% DISCOUNT


Have you always desired a smooth online shopping experience. Do you have dreams of putting your goods out on platforms where you can get customers all over Nigeria. Then MelodyBiz Store is the right place for you. We offer competitive prices on goods and services and you can be rest assured to get what you ordered in the stipulated time. Log-on to MelodyBiz and experience a different dynamics of shopping
Previous articleMMEA rescues five Indonesians in waters off Batu Pahat
Next articleCentral Brigade General Operations Force to assist in flood operations in Segamat from Jan 3

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here