Spread the news

The island of Phuket will be sealed for two weeks starting Tuesday, but it won’t affect those arriving for the so-called Phuket Sandbox, authorities said.

No visitors from other provinces, but for a few exemptions, will be allowed to enter Phuket – neither by land, air nor sea – according to an order signed by Phuket Gov. Narong Woonsiew. 

The new restrictions, however, will not affect travelers participating in the quarantine-free sandbox program from coming or going once their 14 days are up, according to Tanee Sangrat of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

People who have stayed on Phuket for more than 14 days will be allowed to leave for other parts of Thailand and can re-enter Phuket only if they have international flights booked from the Phuket International Airport.

Exempt travelers include medical personnel, transporters of essential goods and relevant authorities.

COVID-19 cases have been ticking up on the island, and the announcement came after they hit a recent high with 50 new cases. One patient died. 

Most of the cases have been in the island’s population and don’t involve travelers. Of the more than 12,000 to arrive on the island since July 1, 30 were found to be infected with the coronavirus.

An air travel ban imposed late last month preventing travel to and from the worst-hit provinces is set to expire Monday.

Related

6 ‘Phuket Sandbox’ travelers have COVID-19: health officials

Things don’t work for confused travelers one day before Phuket ‘reopening’

This article, Entire island of Phuket sealed off 2 weeks, originally appeared on Coconuts, Asia’s leading alternative media company.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Spread the news
CONTACT US : support@melodyinter.com
Previous articleCovid-19: Those involved in interstate travel not allowed to join prayers at mosques in Perlis, says Raja Muda
Next articleFirst batch of US donated Pfizer vaccines arrives in Thailand

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here