After Marcelo picked up an injury in training, it will be academy graduate Miguel Gutierrez who starts at left back in Real Madrid’s opening LaLiga Santander opener against Alaves.
The news is a blow to coach Carlo Ancelotti, who was already without Ferland Mendy who has yet to return to full training following the injury he suffered in the Champions League semi-final last season.
The Italian conceded that the workload in training in recent weeks may have contributed to Marcelo being on the sidelines, but that otherwise the new regime is yielding results.
“We spoke with the players and we had a pre-season with an intense pre-season,” said Ancelotti at his press conference on Friday.
“It’s gone well, we are getting important players back. We have had a problem with Marcelo, but we hope we can solve that soon.”
In every crisis, of course, there is opportunity and that falls once again to Miguel Gutierrez, who impressed in limited appearances last season and who Ancelotti spoke highly of on Friday.
“Miguel is a talented full back, who has already played games and will have no problems playing for Real Madrid,” said Ancelotti.
This comment appears to confirm that Miguel will return to the side, having at one point at the end of last season been preferred to Marcelo in the starting lineup under Zinedine Zidane.
Marcelo is 13th on Real Madrid’s list of all-time most appearances but had been expected to be on his way out this summer. The return of Ancelotti, however, appears to have given him a second chance, while Sergio Ramos’ departure has seen him made club captain.
The post Marcelo out of Alaves clash as Miguel Gutierrez takes spot appeared first on Sporting Life.