KUALA LUMPUR: The number of flood victims in Kelantan and Terengganu continues to rise, with 15,126 people from 4,901 families displaced according to the latest numbers.
In Kelantan, the numbers rose from 10,207 people from 3,480 families as of 8am today compared to 10,078 people from 3,437 families last night.
Meanwhile in Terengganu, the number of people displaced by the floods rose marginally from 4,908 people last night to 4,919 this morning, all of whom are being accommodated at 120 flood relief centres in eight districts.
The Social Welfare Department’s InfoBencana app shows that Pasir Mas in Kelantan remains the worst hit area for flood evacuees with 5,751 people from 2,268 families moving to 28 flood relief centres.
This is followed by Kuala Krai with 1,075 evacuees from 265 families at 16 centres, Pasir Puteh (826 evacuees from 219 families at eight centres) and Kota Bharu (733 evacuees from 209 families at five centres).
In Tanah Merah, there are 642 evacuees from 179 families at 13 centres. There are 619 evacuees from 190 families at three centres in Tumpat and 203 evacuees from 61 families at six centres in Machang.
In Jeli, there are 179 evacuees from 45 families at two centres and another 179 evacuees from 44 families at two centres in Bachok.
The ebanjir.kelantan.gov.my website shows that the level of Sungai Golok in Rantau Panjang dropped by 0.3m to 10.58m from 10.61m last night. However, this is still above the 9m danger point.
Water levels in Kuala Jambu were at 3.21m, above the danger level of 2.5m.
Three rivers have exceeded the warning point: Sungai Golok in Jenob at 22.74m, Sungai Kelantan at Jambatan Guillemard at 15.5m and Sungai Kelantan in Kuala Krai at 23.38m.
Meanwhile, three rivers have breached the alert level: Sungai Lebir in Tualang at 29.94m, Sungai Galas in Dabong at 33.40m and Sungai Kelantan in Tambatan Diraja at 3.86m.
The floods have so far claimed two lives although no major roads have been reported closed.
In Terengganu, the number of evacuees increased slightly to 4,919 people from 1,421 families this morning from 4,908 (1,425 families) last night. The evacuees are at 120 centres in eight districts.
State civil defence force director Lt Col Che Adam A Rahman said Kuala Terengganu was the latest district to be hit by floods last night. There are currently 22 evacuees from four families at a centre near Manir.
“Besut remains the worst affected area with the number of centres unchanged at 51 where a total of 1,879 evacuees from 503 families have been placed.
“Meanwhile, Setiu recorded a drop to 1,406 evacuees (398 families) at 26 centres from 1,435 evacuees (408 families) last night. The situation in Hulu Terengganu remains unchanged, with 889 evacuees (331 families) at 16 centres,” he said.
In Dungun, there was a slight increase with 410 evacuees (106 families) at 15 centres as compared to 403 victims (108 families) last night.
Similarly in Marang, the number of evacuees rose to 129 (27 families) at five centres from 121 evacuees (26 families) last night. In Kuala Nerus, the number also increased to 160 (46 families) in four centres from 157 evacuees (43 families) last night.
The Department of Irrigation and Drainage reported that only Sungai Nerus in Kampung Langkap had exceeded the danger level of 21m this morning, at 21.23 metres.
In Johor, the number of evacuees in Batu Pahat remained at 52 as of 8am today.
Johor Local Government, Urban and Environmental Welfare Committee chairman Tan Chen Choon said the 13 families are from Kampung Parit Betong, Kampung Parit Abdul Hadi and Kampung Parit Ju.
The evacuees have taken shelter at Sekolah Agama Seri Comel, which opened on Sunday evening.