Spread the news

Petronas announces a gas discovery from its Nangka-1 wildcat exploration well in Block SK417. — Reuters pic
Petronas announces a gas discovery from its Nangka-1 wildcat exploration well in Block SK417. — Reuters pic

Follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates.


KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 30 ― Petroliam Nasional Bhd (Petronas) today announced a gas discovery from its Nangka-1 wildcat exploration well in Block SK417, located in the shallow waters of Baram province about 180 kilometres off the coast of Sarawak. 

The Nangka-1 well was successfully drilled to a total depth of 3,758 metres in September 2021.

“The sweet gas was discovered in the Middle to Late Miocene Cycle VI clastic reservoirs, further validating the hydrocarbon potential in the surrounding areas,” Malaysia’s fully integrated petroleum corporation said in a statement.

PTTEP HK Offshore Ltd is the operator for Block SK417 with 80 per cent participating interest, while Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd holds the remaining 20 per cent.

The block was awarded in March 2018 following the Malaysia Bid Round 2017. 

Petronas senior vice president of Malaysia petroleum management, Mohamed Firouz Asnan, said the success of Nangka-1 well marks the second gas discovery within the Baram Province this year.

“The finding of contaminant-free gas in Nangka-1 reaffirms sweet gas opportunities within the area, and subsequently upgrades Baram clastics play. 

“This second gas find further reinvigorates the Baram Province, which is part of the established Baram Delta region, signalling potential for more discoveries in the neighbouring acreages. The availability of existing facilities within the region will allow the petroleum arrangement contractors (PACs) to monetise their discoveries quicker and cheaper through tie-back solutions,” he added.  

In February this year, Petronas announced a new gas discovery in the Dokong-1 wildcat exploration well in the same block of the Baram Province. 

For more information on investment opportunities in Malaysia, visit https://www.petronas.com/mpm/. ― Bernama

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Spread the news
Advertisement

MELODYBIZ 50% DISCOUNT


Have you always desired a smooth online shopping experience. Do you have dreams of putting your goods out on platforms where you can get customers all over Nigeria. Then MelodyBiz Store is the right place for you. We offer competitive prices on goods and services and you can be rest assured to get what you ordered in the stipulated time. Log-on to MelodyBiz and experience a different dynamics of shopping
Previous articleRwanda becomes first Sub-Saharan African country to ban flights to southern Africa over Omicron COVID
Next articleEducation minister: Reopening of schools alongside Covid-19 well accepted, attendance above 85pc