Spread the news

Casino operations in Boracay, the Philippines’ top tourist draw are set to resume. — Reuters
Casino operations in Boracay, the Philippines’ top tourist draw are set to resume. — Reuters

Follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates.


MANILA, Aug 28 — Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has lifted a moratorium on casino operations in the country’s top holiday island to generate taxes for its Covid-19 pandemic response, the presidential spokesperson said today.

The firebrand leader has had a longstanding opposition to gambling, halting the construction of new casinos in the Philippines, one of Asia’s fastest-growing gambling markets before the pandemic.

“The president has given his go signal allowing the operation of a casino in Boracay,” presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said in a statement.

Casino operations in Boracay, the Philippines’ top tourist draw, should follow coronavirus restrictions and keep children away from gambling activities, Roque said. He did not say if the lifting of the moratorium would be temporary or permanent.

Strict and lengthy coronavirus lockdowns last year battered the Philippine economy and hit tax revenues.

No casinos currently operate in the 10-square-kilometre Boracay island, famed for its powdery white sands, turquoise waters and lively night life.

The move augurs well for provisional casino license holders like the Philippines’ Alliance Global Group Inc, and the partnership of Leisure & Resorts World Corp and Macau’s Galaxy Entertainment Group.

In 2018, Duterte rejected Galaxy’s plan to build a US$500 million  (RM2.1 billion) integrated casino resort in Boracay.

Alliance Global will proceed with its casino project in Boracay where it has several hotels and a golf course, company chairman Andrew Tan said in a statement todday. “We are very hopeful that the tourism industry in this island will recover fast after the pandemic.”

Galaxy can start its operations focusing on foreign gamblers, Alfredo Lim, president of the gaming regulator, told Reuters.

Galaxy and Leisure & Resorts World did not immediately respond to requests for comment outside office hours today. — Reuters

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Spread the news
CONTACT US : support@melodyinter.com
Previous articleSports minister: Bonnie’s win will serve to inspire Malaysian contingent at Tokyo Paralympic Games
Next article‘We did our best’ on Kabul evacuation, Nato representative says

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here