Spread the news

A police officer mans a checkpoint at a village under lockdown amid rising coronavirus disease infections, in Manila March 12, 2021. — Reuters pic
A police officer mans a checkpoint at a village under lockdown amid rising coronavirus disease infections, in Manila March 12, 2021. — Reuters pic

Follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates.


MANILA, Sept 14 — The Philippines will ease coronavirus restrictions in the capital Manila despite record infection numbers, officials said today, as it seeks to spur economic activity.

Restaurants, churches and beauty salons in the national capital region will open at lower capacities from Thursday to get tens of thousands more people back to work.

“We should strive for total health and this can only be realised by carefully balancing our Covid-19 response by considering both the health of our people and the economic health of the nation,” President Rodrigo Duterte’s spokesman Harry Roque said.

Virus cases have surged to record levels — more than 140,000 cases in the past week — thanks to an outbreak of the highly contagious Delta variant.

Metropolitan Manila will be placed on the second-highest alert under a new classification system that replaces guidelines that left many residents and business owners confused about which activities were allowed.

Localised lockdowns targeting specific buildings, streets or neighbourhoods will be enforced to check the spread of the virus, replacing the current scheme that covers entire cities and regions.

Fully vaccinated customers in the capital region can now be served indoors in restaurants and beauty salons at up to 10 per cent capacity, and at outdoor venues at up to 30 per cent capacity regardless of vaccination status.

Six out of 10 adults in Manila are inoculated, compared to 22 per cent of Filipino adults nationwide, officials said.

Churches will also be allowed to seat 10 per cent of their capacity for services but other indoor group activities, including those that lead to crowding, remain banned.

Cost of lockdown

A succession of shutdowns since the start of the pandemic has sidelined more than two million workers in the food and leisure sectors in the capital alone, according to Trade Secretary Ramon Lopez. 

Millions of children started a second year of remote lessons this week in the Philippines, which has kept schools closed since the start of the coronavirus pandemic.

Officials said Tuesday that when the alert level is reduced to the second-lowest, classrooms may reopen alongside indoor entertainment and social events at up to 50 per cent capacity.

Duterte has previously said the country cannot afford more lockdowns.

But authorities have had few options to slow the spread of the virus as hospitals have filled up.

The president said in a pre-recorded television address aired today that vaccinations — now limited to priority sectors — could start for the general adult population next month “if there is a stable vaccine supply”.

The coronavirus has infected more than 2.2 million people and killed more than 35,000 in the country since the start of the pandemic. — AFP

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Spread the news
CONTACT US : support@melodyinter.com
Previous articleSpain says ‘monster’ fire under control after seven days
Next articleThousands protest against Taliban in Kandahar over evictions

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here