[Button id="2"] [Button id="1"]
KUALA LUMPUR, June 6 — The police have commenced investigations against Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor for making claims that Penang is under the ownership of Kedah.
Royal Malaysia Police secretary Datuk Noorsiah Saaduddin said the probe follows reports lodged against the menteri besar for his remarks.
“Investigations are conducted by Bukit Aman’s Classified Crime Investigation Unit under Section 505(b) of the Penal Code and Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act.
Muhammad Sanusi will also have his statement recorded by officers from the aforementioned unit on June 7.
Section 505(b) of the Penal Code refers to the offence of making, publishing or circulating any statement, rumour or report with intent to cause fear or alarm to the public; or induce an individual to commit an offence against the State.
The probe follows Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim calling for action to be taken against Muhammad Sanusi who had asked for the Federal Constitution to be amended to justify his controversial remark.
Anwar added that Penang’s status as a state separated from Kedah had been resolved before independence, at the time during the reign of Sultan Sir Badlishah Abdul Hamid Halim Shah.
Last month, Sanusi claimed that Penang is under the ownership of Kedah while Perak and Perlis are the only states that have a border with Kedah.
Sanusi said he is waiting for confirmation from the Department of Survey and Mapping Malaysia if there is a determined basis for the confirmation of Kedah’s border with other states.
The remarks were heavily criticised by the prime minister, who reportedly said Sanusi should understand the Federal Constitution and the Federation of Malaya Agreement.
Sanusi later claimed that historical and academic studies supported his claim that Kedah owned Penang, and that there was a need for the current generation to rectify the “distortion of history” and amend the Federal Constitution accordingly.