Terrorists who kidnapped passengers on board the Abuja-Kaduna train have threatened to start slaughtering the victims within seven days if the Federal Government fails to release their children allegedly kept in a Yola detention facility. The terrorists had on March 28, 2022, attacked the train heading for Kaduna from Abuja after bombing its rail track. Nine persons were killed during the attack, scores injured and over 62 other passengers kidnapped. The terrorists had earlier demanded the release of their top commanders in government custody in exchange for the release of the kidnapped passengers. According to The Nation, leader of the terrorists identified as Abu Barra, made the threat via phone calls to Malam Tukur Mamu, the spokesman of Sheikh Ahmad Gumi. In the audio conversations, Barra claimed that the Federal Government suspended the resumption of the train service because of their threats. He also threatened that they will make the Abuja-Kaduna rail line as well as the Kaduna-Abuja highway, unsafe, if security agencies dare to attack them. ”The government suspended the resumption of the train service indefinitely because of our threats and we repeat, if our conditions are not met, the resumption of the train service is to the detriment of the government and the passengers,” he said. “We don’t need money. We have a good reason for doing what we did, until our demands are met none of the victims will come out alive even if it means we all die with them. They are well taken care of as you can see from the pictures we sent to you via WhatsApp but we assure you that this will not continue. “We choose you (Tukur Mamu) to convey this important message to the government, the families of the victims and Nigerians in general because we believe you won’t alter our message and we have seen you severally with Sheikh Gumi in the forest, therefore, we recognized the fearlessness in you” Barra said that it’s been two months since the abduction and anything can happen to the abducted passengers henceforth. He further explained their reasons for the abduction as a retaliation for the arrest and detention of their children by the security agencies. “Our children numbering about 8 between the ages of one to seven years are currently being held at an orphanage in Jimeta, Adamawa State under the supervision of the Nigerian Army. “The names of our children are; Abdulrahman, Bilkisu, Usman, Ibrahim and Juwairiyyah. They were forcefully taken from our wives in Nasarawa and taken to the orphanage in Yola. “For any continued discussion on the release of these passengers and a safe resumption of the train service, our children must be released unconditionally. Only then we will release some of the abducted victims, especially the women while other passengers will be released on a prisoner exchange with some of our arrested comrades by the government.” “The pictures of the passengers they sent earlier, were among some of the pictures they sent to the negotiation team of the government as proof of the well-being of the victims. They said since then the government had been lacklustre. “They decided to come to a GSM enabled location with one of the female victims to talk to Malam Mamu and as a confirmation of their claims. Mamu said he could hear her cries with a very low voice that probably indicates exhaustion pleading with him to please talk to the government on their behalf for a swift intervention on their release.” Berra threatened that, if within seven days the government does not respond to their demands, they will stop feeding the victims and will start slaughtering them one after the other and if the government doesn’t respond after that, then Nigerians should forget using the Abuja-Kaduna rail line as well as the Kaduna-Abuja highway. “If the government decided not to respond, so be it. We are warning Nigerians, especially those that are patronizing the train, that if this matter is not resolved peacefully, the day they decided to attack us or do anything funny, passengers or commuters should forget to use the train or follow the Abuja-Kaduna road because we will be consistent and they can’t stop us. We believe that you will deliver this message as it is. Therefore, we rely on you and urged you to convey this important message to everyone” Malam Tukur Mamu replied that he understands the predicament of the government in resolving the abduction imbroglio but stated that every responsible government will look into saving innocent passengers’ lives and make painful compromises where necessary even if it’s against the policy of the administration. Malam Mamu then explained that prisoner exchange with known criminals on matters of national interest is a global practice and has happened in many developed countries like the United States. He stressed the need to avoid any military action that will lead to collateral damage and the loss of innocent lives. “Time is not on our side, the government must understand that they are dealing with persons with a misguided ideology and tainted religious belief. These people are not scared of death, they seem to believe that they are martyrs when they die. It will be a serious mistake to take this threat lightly. I believe an opportunity has been created for us to explore to save the lives of those innocent victims. “For me, if these innocent people will regain their freedom because of my involvement and provided that will lead to relative peace and security on our highways and rail lines I wouldn’t mind if I die in the process. We must accept the fact that security alone on the Abuja-Kaduna highways remains more fragile than ever and the solution is not militarily alone, especially in a country where impending attacks can hardly be dictated and stopped.” The post Terrorists threaten to start killing abducted Abuja-Kaduna train passengers within seven days if FG fails to meet their demands appeared first on Linda Ikeji Blog.
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]