Spread the news

Military personnel stand guard outside a polling precinct during the Philippine presidential election in Marawi on the southern island of Mindanao on May 9, 2022. — AFP pic
Military personnel stand guard outside a polling precinct during the Philippine presidential election in Marawi on the southern island of Mindanao on May 9, 2022. — AFP pic

Follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates.


DAVAO, May 9 — Three security guards were killed today when gunmen opened fire at a polling station in a restive southern region of the Philippines, police said, as millions of Filipinos voted in national elections. 

Elections are a traditionally volatile time in a country with lax gun laws and a violent political culture, but police said this season had been comparatively peaceful.

The deadly shooting happened shortly after voting got underway in Buluan municipality on Mindanao island, a haven for multiple armed groups ranging from the private armies of warlord-politicians to communist insurgents and Islamist militants.

Former mayor Ibrahim Mangudadatu told AFP that people inside the school being used as a polling station ran for cover when the shooting started. 

A fourth guard was wounded in the attack, said Maguindanao provincial police spokesman Major Roldan Kuntong. 

Gunmen also attacked a polling station in Lanao del Sur province in Mindanao, leaving one voter dead and two wounded, police said.

That came after five grenades exploded outside a polling station in Datu Unsay municipality in Maguindanao province late yesterday that left nine people wounded.

Police said the victims had walked from their remote mountain villages to cast their votes at the municipal hall when polling stations opened across the country this morning.

“It is their custom to come down early from their villages, which are located eight to 12 hours away on foot,” said Kuntong. 

In 2009, Maguindanao was the scene of the country’s deadliest single incident of political violence on record.

Fifty-eight people were massacred as gunmen allegedly working for a local warlord attacked a group of people to stop a rival from filing his election candidacy.

Dozens of the victims were journalists covering the contest.

A spokesman for the Commission on Elections said they were trying to verify if the attacks were election-related.

Vice presidential frontrunner Sara Duterte, the former mayor of Mindanao’s Davao City, told reporters she hoped voters would not end up “disenfranchised” as a result of the violence.

The son of former dictator Ferdinand Marcos is the favourite to win the presidential vote, which would return the clan to the pinnacle of political power decades after they were ousted.

Thousands of personnel from the police, armed forces and coast guard have fanned out across the archipelago to help secure polling stations and ballots, escort election officials and guard checkpoints. 

As of yesterday, there had been 16 “validated election-related incidents” since January 9, including four shootings, said national police spokesman Brigadier-General Roderick Alba.

That compares with 133 incidents during the 2016 presidential elections. — AFP


Spread the news
Advertisement

MELODYBIZ 50% DISCOUNT


Have you always desired a smooth online shopping experience. Do you have dreams of putting your goods out on platforms where you can get customers all over Nigeria. Then MelodyBiz Store is the right place for you. We offer competitive prices on goods and services and you can be rest assured to get what you ordered in the stipulated time. Log-on to MelodyBiz and experience a different dynamics of shopping
Previous articleEPL: ‘Impossible’ for Tottenham to challenge for title next season, says Conte
Next articleLondon Derby: Arsenal Will Approach Tottenham Game With Right Mentality –Arteta

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here