Spread the news

Four young Afghan asylum seekers went on trial in Greece today accused of starting the devastating fires that burnt down Europe’s largest migrant camp last year. — Reuters pic
Four young Afghan asylum seekers went on trial in Greece today accused of starting the devastating fires that burnt down Europe’s largest migrant camp last year. — Reuters pic

Follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates.


CHIOS, June 11 — Four young Afghan asylum seekers went on trial in Greece today accused of starting the devastating fires that burnt down Europe’s largest migrant camp last year.

The Moria camp on the Aegean island of Lesbos was home to more than 10,000 people before it was destroyed by two fires in September 2020. 

The four Afghans, who are on trial on the neighbouring island of Chios, are charged with intentional arson leading to a risk to human life and membership of a criminal group.

A legal source told AFP the four could face up to 15 years in prison if found guilty on both charges.

The defendants arrived in court around 9.30am (0630 GMT), escorted by policemen and handcuffed in pairs.

Two other Afghan youths were jailed for five years over the same case in March. 

Defence lawyers for the Afghans appearing Friday have argued their clients have not been granted a fair trial.

They say three of them had documents showing they were under 18 at the time of arrest, but were not recognised as minors by the Greek state. 

The trial is based in large part on the testimony of another Afghan asylum seeker who identified the six as the perpetrators.

According to the defence lawyers, the witness was not in court Friday and did not appear for the trial last March as he could not be located.

The defendants claim they were targeted by the witness, an ethnic Pashtun, as all six are Hazara, a long-persecuted minority in Afghanistan.

Built in 2013 to house a maximum of 3,000 people, the Moria camp became badly overcrowded in 2015 as a huge wave of people began arriving on the Greek islands on small boats from nearby Turkey. 

The camp — home to asylum seekers from the Middle East, Africa and South Asia seeking a better life in the European Union — quickly became a byword for squalor and violence.  

The two fires broke out on September 8 and 9 last year as tensions soared in the camp over the coronavirus pandemic.

Witnesses told AFP a dispute had broken out as some 200 migrants refused to quarantine after either testing positive for Covid-19 or coming into contact with someone infected.

Some 13,000 asylum seekers, among them families with children, pregnant women and people with disabilities, had to sleep in the open for a week after the camp was destroyed. 

Authorities have since built a temporary camp on Lesbos that is hosting some 6,000 people.

Some 10,000 asylum seekers are currently living across Greece’s Aegean islands, the vast majority of them hoping to settle elsewhere in the EU. — AFP


Spread the news
CONTACT US : [email protected]

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here